Welcome to my world!

Sometimes I feel like that old tree on the ridge. I've experienced and learned so much in my life, and continue to learn and grow in my environment. My sense of what's good and right and valued comes from the wonderful people I've encountered; my faith in God and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and my delightful children & grandchildren who continue to teach and refine my perspective.



And yet, like that old tree, I am standing, sometimes alone, to represent those good and grand values, standards and goals. My roots strongly cling to the rocks and sparse dirt that sustains me. My arms and face reach to the sky acknowledging how small I am compared to the vast universe of creation. I feel the sun on my face and the wind as it passes me by; and I have felt the fury of storms filled with debris, as they assail me with doubts, insecurities, and wounds from the past.



Join me as I journey through life, sifting through the chaff and tares of mortality and striving every day to make something good out of the tools I have been given.

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Where are you?


One day at the office, I answered the phone. The caller verified that this was the place she was trying to reach and then asked for directions.  I paused for a moment and then asked, “Where are you?” so that I could give her the appropriate directions.  I thought about this query as I drove home, and I wondered, isn’t that the question we all should frequently ask ourselves? 
                                  Where am I?
I wasn’t thinking about trying to get to or from any physical place, but instead thought about where I was in my spiritual journey here on earth and what guidance I needed to get Home. You know, the eternal home where we all want to be at the end of this “Earth Mission” we are on.  Was I on course, or did I need to make some serious course corrections.  Am I holding onto the iron rod as I travel through the mists of darkness?  And would I be valiant enough in my pursuit of eternal life?  So where am I?
There seems to be a standard Church checklist against which we evaluate ourselves.  Church attendance, tithing, scriptures (reading them), uhhh, that’s all, isn’t it? Or, should be also add attending the temple (well, I did go once last year,) keeping the Sabbath Day holy, Word of Wisdom, Visiting/Home teaching, family prayer, family and personal scripture study,,,,whoa there, the list is getting more involved and wait a minute; I’m still a good Mormon??? even if I don’t do everything all the time, most of the time, ok maybe some of the time.  Maybe my grip on the iron rod isn’t as secure as I thought!
Before you start to think, ok this is one of those “come to Jesus” talks where I’m going to inform you that you’re way far off the track, hear me out. Actually my focus is really on what is the real me and am I who I say I am.  Recognizing the real you is a major step toward true spiritual maturation.  For if I can honestly, critically assess my spiritual strengths and weaknesses, perhaps I can truly ask the Lord for directions home.
Too often in this busy world, any reflection upon our values and principles usually occurs at the turning of a new year.  Goals and redirection rarely lasts more than a few weeks, if that long.  And change only becomes a dust-layered tool that is used so infrequently that it becomes obsolete and forgotten.
I believe that with maturity comes a well-defined statement or synopsis of what it means to be a Latter-day Saint.  However, what values and habits support the daily life of a strong Latter-day Saint member?  If you were to evaluate your life and your behaviors, could you honestly reply that you would be comfortable saying, acting, not doing or doing all the things you do right now in your present life if the Savior were here beside you?  Would I be frustrated and anxious for Christ’s departure from my daily lifestyle, or would I want Him around more or always.  There are so many elements and behaviors that have come to represent what a true disciple of Christ is.  And whether it is explicit honesty with your fellow man, constant love and nurturing our children even when they misbehave, and things like creating a home that becomes a sanctuary that contribute to our goal of perfecting ourselves so that we can honestly reply to the Savior as we ask for directions to go home, this is where I am!
I want others to notice that special glow in my eyes when I talk about my Savior, Jesus Christ.  When someone enters the room, I hope that they see my eyes light up in recognition that they are here.  My mortal travel itinerary includes stopping to assist my fellow man, giving sustenance to those who are in need, and while I am on my way, check in with my Heavenly Home Base to make sure I am on the right path.
                  Do you know where you are?

No comments:

Post a Comment